Hayden and I (especially me) LOVE the show Cupcake Wars on the Food Network. Although it makes me crave yummy cupcakes- it also inspires me to want to make fun deserts. One day we decided that over Christmas break, Hayden and I would have our own Cupcake War. We challenged each other to make two cupcakes, each having our own baking assistant, and to be judged by our neighbors. We borrowed another mixer and set to work. Two hours and a GIANT mess later, we were ready!
Hayden and Trey presented two delicious cupcakes:
1.A s’mores milk chocolate cupcake with a whipped vanilla icing, topped with graham cracker crumbles and two homemade marshmallow meringue cookies.
2.A dark chocolate toffee cupcake with a toffee buttercream icing, topped with a caramel toffee drizzle and toffee chips.
Haley and I presented two cupcakes:
1. A lemon cupcake with a lemon zest butter cream icing, topped with a white chocolate snowflake.
2.A dark chocolate cupcake with a chocolate raspberry ganache filling, topped with chocolate raspberry ganache, vanilla icing and dollop of raspberry jam.
The boys won and we had a great time. Our neighbor asked what we had wagered…nothing at that point except bragging rights. She suggested the loser have to clean the kitchen. We both looked at each other and agreed that was WAY too high of stakes. Next year we decided we are going to challenge the neighbors and expand the event! In the mean time, I’ll be heading to Muddy’s or GiGi’s for my extravagant cupcake cravings!
Happy New Year! So I’ve been slacking on blogging (so has Laura), but we’re working on getting back on track. I’m not sure why, but it seems like time is slipping away from us more than I’d expect. I know we’ve had Christmas. I know we’ve got a new kid. But it still seems like it gets away from me more than it should.
I read through my prior resolutions this past weekend. Interesting to see what has and has NOT been accomplished. So, in true form, here’s my NYE list for 2012. Starting with our major milestones:
- Avery was born
- Now 3 years in the same house
- I got promoted to Director at work
- We got some land in Millington (well, my parents did)
- The hunting bug definitely bit me again
- I read the chronological Bible through
- Went to Honduras again for a mission trip – I led it this time
- Trey’s talking and starting to speak in sentences
- Avery’s near crawling
- Haley’s incredibly intelligent
- The discipleship group I was leading fizzled out
- The discipleship group I was in disbanded
- I felt like my work-life balance has never been better
Some things I hope to accomplish in 2012:
- Reading back through the Bible again
- Purposefully modeling Christ for our children
- Recognizing blessings as coming from God rather than my own doing
- Finding a family that needs assistance and helping them – not through monetary contributions only, but by making them a part of OUR family
- Taking time to build relationships…and not SELF SERVING relationships
- Letting others know what they mean to me. Starting at home.
- Doing a triathlon – I’ve been slacking in this department